Have a nosy partner or that over-enthusiastic kid of yours who don’t think twice before playing with your 5800? We totally understand your concern and a device as powerful as our 5800 can at times be just too resourceful to risk being toyed around. This is where Advanced Device Locks for s60 comes into picture.
ADL is a powerful application that can protect important information stored on your 5800s, along with restricting access to certain applications to third party users. Isn’t that just the feature you wished the symbian OS included by default? Very much like the User Access Control (UAC) first seen in Vista and now in Windows 7. Hit the jump button to see how this powerful app bringing UAC features fares in our 5800s.
The app is very straightforward and you can start configuring the app straightaway without even having to read the instructions as such. The only thing you need to remember is that the default lock code is “0000″ and the very first step is to change this to the code (upto 7 characters long) of your choice. After that you can proceed to locking apps of your choice and tuning the app to suit your preferences. Once an app is locked by ADL, users will be prompted for the unlock code on trying to access the locked app (something like UAC, right?). In addition to restricting access to certain files/apps ADL can even lock the phone for that extra layer of protection if the need be felt.
An application as powerful as ADL could be as simple and easy-to-use as this is hard to believe but is very much true about this amazing app. The developers of this app have done an awesome job in keeping things simple and yet extremely useful.
While ADL is good enough for most users, advanced users can go for ADL Pro which provides value added features like Secure storage of files and remote lock, alarm and data wipe in addition to UAC like features of ADL. Lets take a look at the official decription of ADL Pro:
What can ADL Pro do for you?
ADL Pro protects important information and personal data on your phone. With ADL Pro you can restrict access to certain applications, protect sensitive information and delete it remotely in case your phone is lost or stolen.
With ADL Pro you can rest assured that if your phone is lost or stolen, you will be notified of any unauthorized attempt to use it and trace it back. You can lock the phone remotely, switch on an alarm or delete your personal information by simply sending a text message with a predefined keyword.
ADL Pro allows you to lock your phone automatically by choosing one of the following options:
* Always – each time the phone is turned on.
* When SIM Changed – the locks are on if the SIM card of the phone is changed.
* Automatic lock – an automatic lock is switched on after a specified period of inactivity.
* Protect applications – this option turns on the device locks if someone tries to access the protected applications.
ADL Pro comes with a password-protected secure storage where you can place your confidential files. Files can be recovered easily by entering a password. You can use the secure storage as a safe deposit box for all your confidential documents, pictures and/or audio/video files.
ADL Pro alerts you if the SIM card on your phone has been changed by sending a notification SMS to a predefined number. The IMSI number of the new SIM card will be secretly sent to your backup number without the notion of the unauthorized user and your mobile operator and local authorities can assist you to track the new user, and trace the phone.
For backup number you can use the number of your backup phone or the number of your secretary, spouse, colleague or friend. If you have more than one SIM card and you wish to authorize them to use with your phone, you can do that by simply entering your pass-code once and the SIM card/s will be remembered for further usage.
Remote Lock is a combination of settings designed to protect the phone from theft and abuse. You can pre-select actions for ADL Pro in case an SMS with the keyword is received.
Available options are:
By choosing the Delete option, you can remotely delete sensitive information from your phone, such as Contacts, SMS, Gallery, Calendar and Secure Storage to protect it from unauthorized usage. If this option is selected and remotely activated, your phone will send you an SMS with a confirmation request to prevent from accidental mistakes.
Isn’t that pretty exhaustive? We definitely think this is one of the most powerful security applications for our 5800s. While ADL is priced at $15.50, ADL Pro is priced at $30.50. Considering the pricing and feature set, we should say that ADL is a steal and ADL Pro is at best left to the discretion of the users.
If your 5800 is an integral part of your professional or personal life, packing in some of the most sensitive info, then ADL Pro is a definite must have while for most users, ADL is as good as it can get for a simple UAC like security application.
- <a href=”http://www.tube5800.com/guest-review-x-plore-file-explorer-for-nokia-5800/” rel=”bookmark” title=”Permanent Link: Guest Review: X-plore – File Explorer for Nokia 5800“>Guest Review: X-plore – File Explorer for Nokia 5800
- <a href=”http://www.tube5800.com/how-to-fix-the-expired-certificate-problem-in-nokia-5800/” rel=”bookmark” title=”Permanent Link: How to Fix the ‘Expired Certificate’ Problem in Nokia 5800“>How to Fix the ‘Expired Certificate’ Problem in Nokia 5800
- <a href=”http://www.tube5800.com/advanced-call-manager-application-for-nokia-5800/” rel=”bookmark” title=”Permanent Link: Advanced Call Manager Application for Nokia 5800“>Advanced Call Manager Application for Nokia 5800
- SPB Mobile Shell for Symbian Nokia 5800 XpressMusic
- Winrar for Nokia 5800: Zip/ Unzip Files on your Phone
- How to Hack Nokia 5800 – Nokia 5800 v40 Hack Now Available: Get Those Unsigned Apps Now!
- Nokia 5800 Wallpaper Collection- New Pack
- Guest Review: X-plore – File Explorer for Nokia 5800
- Nokia 5800 Comes with Music Review
- Windows Live Messenger Now Official on Nokia 5800
- NOKIA 5800 Applications
- iTube: FREE iPhone on Nokia 5800 – by Mr. Milk
- XpressAlarm on Nokia 5800, N97
There are no posts related to Review: Advanced Device Locks for S60- Security App.